Tuesday 12 April 2016

Brace for Impact

Battlefleet Gothic Armada

I'm currently sat at work (I know, why am I on here when I should be doing my actual job), and at the back of my mind is the fact that I have purposefully left my computer on at home.

The monumental waste of electricity is down to one simple reason, I'm desperately hoping that today is the day that the Eldar Corsairs are released onto the Battlefleet Gothic Armada beta.  Then all hope of me ever going to bed this evening will be lost, and Khaine's Avatar will be soaked in the blood of my enemies. *Cough*

I've had the game for a while now, jumping on the Open Beta as part of a pre-order bonus.  Since picking it up I've been happily building a Chaos fleet, all lovingly given different Marks of Chaos.  I've thrown ships around like wrecking balls with the Ork Pirates.  But deep down, in my guts, I have just been waiting for the Eldar fleet to arrive.  Even through all the crashes and the fact that my PC seems to be dying (the crashes are probably my computers fault not the games), this has been the saving grace that has made me stick with the game.

I played Battlefleet Gothic when it first came out.  I was an Eldar player in Gothic.  I didn't care for my beloved Dark Angels or Tyranids (though models weren't initially out for them, when they did show up they didn't even get a look in).  The speed of the Eldar, the clever little move, fire, move runs they could do.  I loved the snipping, darting little ambushes they could perform, along with the general hit and run approaches they could make.  Yes, if I got shot I was dead.  If someone managed to hit me with a boarding action I was no better than a pair of soiled pants, but I didn't care.  I was a daring and wily Eldar Corsair, and it was just fantastic.  It also helped that they were some of the most beautiful ships in the game.  Then of course they will be with Orks, Chaos and those Emperor bothering Imperials around.

So here I am, at work, and I just hope that the Eldar are out soon.  It strikes me that getting them to work with the mechanics of the game is going to be difficult, head on attacks aren't exactly fast moving ambushes in BFG:A, but I just want them to work.  In a game which is beautifully made, tactically fun, and simple in its controls and play, I just hope and pray that my beloved Eldar ships will shine.

If I'm not seen for a few weeks you might know why.

No comments:

Post a Comment